Mathematics is a creative and highly interconnected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. Our high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
Mathematics is an interconnected subject in which pupils learn to be able to move fluently between representations of mathematical ideas. The programme of study for Key Stage 3 is sequenced into, what may appear to be, distinct domains, but pupils build on knowledge gained in Key Stage 2 and build connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems.
Each area of study in mathematics is connected to the others and we retrieve, affirm and build the knowledge and understanding as we progress through the curriculum. For example when learning about and how to apply Pythagoras’ theorem in Year 9 we need previous teaching from Number with an understanding of square numbers and square roots, from Algebra with the application of substitution and rearranging equations and from Geometry in the knowledge of the properties of shapes and specifically triangles.
Through the mathematics programme of study we enable pupils to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to progress to further education, employment and training with increasing numbers able to progress directly to level 3 qualifications.
- Mr T McLaughlin (Head of Department)
- Miss J Nettleton (Second in Department)
- Mr M Bunn
- Miss F Hall
- Mr A Turton
- Mr T Khan
- Mrs J Baker (DELTA Director of Maths)
- Mr L Fellows (DELTA Lead teacher)
- Mr S Harrison (Temporary Teacher of Maths)
Year 11 Additional Maths
X Band- Thursday
Y Band- Wednesday
Year 7/8- Thursday
Year 9/10- Wednesday
We also participate in the UK Maths Challenges
- Y7 Learning Journey(350 KB)
- Y7 Curriculum Plan(401 KB)
- Y8 Learning Journey(333 KB)
- Y8 Curriculum Plan(378 KB)
- Y9 Route 1 Learning Journey(336 KB)
- Y9 Route 1 Curriculum Plan(380 KB)
- Y9 Route 2 Learning Journey(310 KB)
- Y9 Route 2 Curriculum Plan(379 KB)
- Y10 Route 1 Learning Journey(294 KB)
- Y10 Route 2 Learning Journey(313 KB)
- Maths Curriculum Overview(139 KB)