Homework should consist of worthwhile and meaningful activities aimed to extend the learning of the student beyond the classroom and to embed knowledge from the curriculum. Tasks should:
- consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding of curriculum content
- support work completed in class
- develop independent learning skills
- allow students to develop and practice the skills and knowledge that they will need to apply in assessment situations such as exams
- be age accessible and differentiated according to ability
- develop skills and attributes such as resilience and investigation.
Homework set will include:
- learning key facts, details and explanations in order to reinforce and consolidate curriculum content
- Hegarty (maths)
- GCSE Pod
Homework tasks may also include:
- preparing a presentation to the class
- creating resources (this could include cooking, drawing or making models for example)
- trying out a simple scientific experiment
- subject based projects (over a half term for example)
Expectations of staff
- In Y7 and 8 homework will be set weekly in English, maths, science, French, geography and history. Subjects taught only once a week will set homework on a fortnightly basis.
- In Y9, 10 and 11 homework will be set weekly in every subject with the exception of core PE.
- Sixth Form students will be set independent learning tasks subject to the requirements of the course being studied.
- Homework will be self or peer assessed in line with the academy marking policy.
- Staff will celebrate and reward students who complete homework.
- Effort points will be awarded to students for good and outstanding pieces of homework. Effort and achievement points from all areas of academy life are added up at the end of the academic year and high scoring students will be invited on rewards trips.
- Wow boards in departments will be used to display homework with photographs taken for the academy’s Twitter account.
- Homework must be recorded in planners and clearly labelled in books or on sheets.
- Homework deadlines should be reasonable and realistic. At least 48 hours should be given for students to complete their homework.
- In maths all students are to be set Hegarty homework by their teachers. This is a trust wide policy and must be adhered to.
- There will be a homework club available for any student who needs support to complete their homework.